Friday, September 18, 2009


growing up my family would always have saturday night dinners at my oma's (grandma in german) and would watch the star trek series on tv. it was on one of these evenings while waiting for breadsticks to come out of the oven i remember my mother handing me a piece of paper and pencil with the directions to ask oma to draw a picture for me. oma laughed at my request but happily did so. i remember being left in such awe as i watched her sketch out donald duck's face. i had no clue that people could draw like that and so fast. i had her sign it. i was cleaning out my belongings in room after foundations year as i moved out of my parents house into my own i found that sketch from so long ago. i remember how i felt i as i watched her draw it and thought it was funny to see where my path had taken me since that night. i still have that drawing but don't know where it is at he moment.

this afternoon kara walked by my studio and said the piece i was working on reminded her of robert and shana parkeharrison's work. after she showed me some of their photos i felt very flattered that my work reminded her of theirs in even the slightest way. she said they pretty much take all the photos in their back yard. i love how they distort reality and play with our envirionment.







emile galle is an artist who has been classified with the 'symbolists' a small group of artists in the early 1900's. he didn't work strictly with glass, but those are my favortie works of his; not only for the finished product but his process. he has a design for each piece as begins but keeps it loose knowing the glass has character of its own. he saw the creation of a piece as a co-op between the glass and him. going with the flow of the moment and personality of the glass he would emphasize what others might consider flaws to be muted or destroyed. the dragonfly's body, in the piece below, was more than likely cause by a happening in the glass while working hot. emile would also title each work very poetically and usually would have it written in script at the bottom of each piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment