Monday, September 28, 2009

bailing season















an annual activity my family looked forward to was bailing season. it was always a bit of excitment right before fair week. i remember one year in particular: the boys always worked in the stifling barn while i unloaded the bails onto the elevator which took them up to the barn. they were expert stackers, heaving one sometimes two bails upwards 7feet. but the part i loved about how they stacked was that they placed tunnels for us to crawl through as they built. this entailed moving the previous year's unused bails to fit with their tunnels. my concentration of keeping my unloading rythym was broken by the boys laughing at the window as they watched this black flat object they had thrown out spin downwards. i watched curiously until it landed when i realized that it was a dead, old cat that had been petrified between bails. My little cousin had set up a lemonade stand for us next to the base of the barn. her mother is farm vet, so my cousin took one look at it and said, "my mother can fix that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment