Monday, April 12, 2010

the diversity of one





Cindy Sherman found a way to make herself look like many different ladies, specifically actresses, in her Untitled Film Series. Her concept of starting with one constant and placing it in with variables such as camera angles, clothes, hair styles, expressions, etc. is simple but remarkable.
That same philosophy can be true to many art forms not just photography or acting. From one body of clay a maker could create extremely different results. Take a finished piece and place it in the gallery setting, it could have a regal and sophisticated tone. But place that same piece and put it in someone's cabinet- what atmosphere does it have? Not the same one in the gallery. A sculpture can have a completely different look or even meaning simply by placing it outside vs. inside or inside vs. outside. Presentation holds a lot of weight in the outcome.

For a brief moment in history, I wound up taking a hip-hop class. This only happened because my friend needed a ride and she convinced me to stay and dance instead of leaving and coming back to pick her up.

I CANNOT dance.

My body just won't connect dance moves quickly, especially hip hop. Maybe if there is a slow-mo hip hop I would have a chance, but even when I did get it down I looked terrible, like the moves didn't fit me. But the teacher said something every class that is true for anything, I believe.

"Mechanics is 50% of the game, the other 50% comes from presentation"

No comments:

Post a Comment